A guide to skin friendly jewellery...

Have you ever had an allergic reaction to your jewellery?..

It's a well know fact that the metal contained in your jewellery can cause some annoying allergy symptoms to those that have a sensitivity to it.

Those that do experience a reaction should transition to metals that are hypoallergenic.

Symptoms of jewellery allergic reactions...

  • itching
  • redness
  • tenderness
  • swelling
  • warmth to the exposed area
  • in more severe cases dry patches and blisters

Common metals to avoid if you have sensitive skin..

Nickel & Stainless Steel

  • Nickel is the number one allergy internationally and is the most widely used alloy on the planet.
  • Stainless steel contains trace amounts of nickel and iron and therefore may cause a reaction to those with hypersensitive ears.

Copper & Rose Gold

  • If you are allergic to copper you may also be allergic to metal alloys that include copper, which contains a mixture of gold and copper to achieve its pinkish hue.


  • Brass is often used as a base metal that has been coated with either sterling silver, or gold. If you skin turns green after wearing a necklace or earrings, it most likely includes brass.
  • Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc, so if you're allergic to brass you are likely allergic to copper as well.

Plated metals

  • Don't mistake plating as a foolproof barrier to allergies. Be sure to do your research about what the base metal is before purchasing anything that has been plated.